Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Film Projectors vs. Video Projectors

  1. #1
    chas_ucla
    Guest chas_ucla's Avatar

    Post

    Check this amusing link out concerning the "Jesus Project" -- missionaries in Africa who tote a 16mm projector around. They provided a handy "compare and contrast" web page telling us all the superiority of ... well you can figure it out... http://www.philip.allen.org/video-vs-16mm.htm

    ------------------

  2. #2
    crimsonson
    Guest crimsonson's Avatar

    Post

    Can we get of this cliche? There seems to be no NG, Forum or Mail list that does not revert to this useless discussion. They are two DIFFERENT formats.Leave it alone.

    It seems film purist seems always need to prove their superiority, almost in paranoia. While video people are in denial. In the end it just reverts to name calling, horribly erroneous and uniformative threads.

    Can we please...?

    ------------------

  3. #3
    ulrichsd
    Guest ulrichsd's Avatar

    Post

    I'm glad Chas posted this page because I found it humorous.
    And besides, now the film vs. video discussion has come to a close. How can anyone dispute when even Jesus himself prefers film over video. wink

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    crimsonson, I was under the impression that anyone can post any topic they want to, as long as it doesn't break any of Brantley's rules?

    Given the fact that we're barraged day in and day out with people saying "you shoot film? I thought all moviemaking was digital now? You're stupid!" or "Digital video is the way to go man, you need to get into the 21st century and stop that film crap"
    I think it's understandable that we make the occasional statement to support our beliefs.

    I'm sure all the DV'ers would prefer we all quietly shut our mouths, but pick up any of the latest industry magazines, and I'd say it's obvious that it's the video and DV fanatics that are making much more noise about it being superiour to film, and a little squeak every now and then of the other side making their claim.

    And your statement "it's two different formats" is meaningless, because they are both trying to achieve the same audience, and competing for it, certainly as far as the equipment manufacturers are concerned.

    I can't pick up a single filmmaking magazine without some article proclaiming DV to be either "better than film" or "just as good as film" or praising some other reason that it's a better idea to shoot DV than film.
    Sometimes it's true, but come on, you can't just say "they're 2 different formats" as if that means they shouldn't be discussed together at all.
    Pretty silly argument.
    If you're that annoyed by it, then just pass it by, but I don't think anyone on this board should be making statements trying to silence (censor) anybodies opinions, or their right to bring up whatever topic they want to.

    Matt Pacini


    ------------------

  5. #5
    #Pedro
    Guest #Pedro's Avatar

    Post

    I found this website super interesting, because it contains real field expieriences,showing a film with diferent equipment.

    It cannot be disussed that 16mm film has a far far superior quality and performance than any video projection, it?s simply a technical fact, expressed in terms like resolution, contrast, color saturation... that on the other hand direcly affect the attention of the audience. Shure, they are diferent formats, but the target to show a film to an audience is the same and a better technical performance will have a better result.

    The only problem is, that we are in a serious conflict. Industry has switched 100% to video and digital and is trying to adapt us all to a lower quality level than we were used to when film was the mass media.

    Here this webpage can be considered as a kind of what is more effective for propaganda and what is able to influence and attrack more.
    And the result is clear: The 3-dimensional looking pixel-free 16mm projection with it?s crisp sharp pictures in a totally dark room is more fascinating than any amplyfied tele screen.

    Pedro

    ------------------

  6. #6
    mcarter4121
    Guest mcarter4121's Avatar

    Post

    In my celler are many 16mm projectors that work fine, some with restored tubes so the sound also works, real loud too, that I bought for $6 each.
    In the local Office Depot are video projectors that are way smaller with cheesy sound that cost over $2000..
    I assume that the high cost of the video units is because only businesses use them and that they havn't made it to the home movies stage yet.
    Let's give 'em another 10,20,30 years to catch up to film.


    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •